Friday, December 22, 2006

Oh, Those Politcally Correct Snowflake Stamps!

I went to get stamps at the post office yesterday and was happy to see that they had little snowflake-designed ones that match my Christmas letter paper.

snowflake stamps

After I purchased two books and paused to put stamps on my cards, a man turned to the woman next to him and said, "Politically correct Christmas stamps." He said it nicely, if ruefully.

She said, "I kind of like them, because you can use them after Christmas."
"Yea, that's true," he responded.

And I wanted to say, "I don't think it's politcally correct for the United States Postal Service to account for the fact that we live in the most religiously pluralistic nation on earth."

I really, really hate this. I hate how some people say "MERRY CHRISTMAS" in a hostile, forced tone like, "YOU WILL NOT MAKE ME SAY 'HAPPY HOLIDAYS' NO MATTER WHAT," and I hate that things have gotten so bad that some guy actually thinks that snowflakes are politically correct.

3 Comments:

Blogger fausto said...

For a long, long time, the Post Office has issued two holiday stamps every year: a religious one and a secular one. This year the religious one has a painting of the Madonna and Child. The grumpy man in your Post Office could have bought the Madonna instead of the snowflakes if he had cared enough to ask. So even the underlying premise of his beef was wrong.

(PS: The word verification code for this post was "pcopb". Political Correctness of Peace Bang?)

08:27  
Blogger Jennifer Garrison Brownell said...

It seems my comments on your blog are always "please write more about..." and here's another one. I sure would like to hear more from you about that irritating phrase "politically correct." I have some folks at my church who like to use those words to describe anything they dont like, dont want to think too much about or, or that makes them uncomfortable. It's just so conversation stopping - I really have to work hard not to get into one of those "it is not!" "it is SO!" "it is NOT!" conversations. Any advice warmly welcomed.

Also, I'm delighted to nominate you for Understater of the Year - most certainly for the first and last time (on this blog at least) - tee hee.

Gads, what am I doing? It's Christmas Eve Eve! Must. Stop. Babbling. And. Get. Back. To. Work.

Many blessings and Happy Holiday - grin....

00:03  
Blogger LaReinaCobre said...

What Juniper said. I hear people describe so many things as "politically correct," and at times I am just dumbfounded.

14:26  

Post a Comment

<< Home