Monday, September 18, 2006

Pope Ben Apologizes

I appreciate this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/18/world/europe/18pope.html?_r=1&th&emc=th&oref=slogin

What's amazing about this apology as I read it is that it seems to indicate that Benedict's understanding of his role is more "exemplar of Christian virtues" than "infallible religious dude who wears great threads."

It's a heartening sign.

Again, I got no beef with quoting medieval texts. However, as the Pope knows, whatever he says will be heard with immediate, unquestioning respect by millions of people who may not be able to understand such quotes in context.

He took responsibility for that, and I think that's very hopeful.

2 Comments:

Blogger Joel Monka said...

Considering the source, it is an impressive apology indeed. Of course, he said worse things about modern Witchcraft and Paganism, and has yet to apologize for that- but then, Wiccans don't burn churches.

12:32  
Blogger Berrysmom said...

I totally disagree with you guys. What the Pope said is "I'm sorry that you had a negative reaction to my remarks." What the hell kind of an apology is that? NONE.

An sincere apology goes like this: "I am sorry that I..."

I have been stewing about this all day, and will soon be writing something about this on my own blog. Right now it's 9:30 p.m. on my day off, and I would rather be knitting. Stay tuned...

21:34  

Post a Comment

<< Home