Friday, September 15, 2006

Feng Shui

Do you believe in feng shui?

Here's why I ask.

When I first moved into the parsonage, I had my bed facing east-west. I wasn't accustomed to living on a busy, main road, though, so I felt a sense of anxiety every time a car or truck went by, which was often. I felt like the rushing sound made me want to sit up in bed.

So I moved my bed between two windows with my head to the street, my feet facing away from the street, north-south. I felt like my position somehow broke the energy of the cars rushing by, since I was no longer lying parallel to the street outside.

In January of 2005 I began to have fairly regular anxiety attacks. I found that anxiety almost inevitably kicked in just as I was on the verge of falling asleep, and I would wake up with my heart pounding, fearful of the house around me.
I cut out caffeine, started exercising more regularly, and cut out eating much sugar (and especially at night). My daytime anxiety attacks got much more manageable, but I would still feel very keyed up at night, and still awoke frequently with panic attack symptoms (feeling of smothering, blurred vision, disorientation, sense of unreality, etc.) that I managed with breathing techniques.

When I noticed that even at my most wonderfully happy and relaxed this summer I still slept badly in my own bed, although I slept absolutely soundly anywhere else, I decided to read some feng shui pointers. I discovered that my bedroom is just bad for bed placement, as there are windows or closets or other interferences that make it impossible to place a queen sized bed where the feng shui experts recommend. But I did my best to choose the best spot according to feng shui principles, and moved the bed again (actually, back to where I had it when I first moved in).
I slept well that night and have not had any panic attack symptoms since.

Was it all psychological? Was I wrapped in some kind of bad enchantment that needed to be broken? Or is there something to this feng shui stuff?

Experiences? Comments?

5 Comments:

Blogger Joel Monka said...

Personally, I think lighting and sound account for all the effects claimed for Feng Sui. If hard pressed, perhaps I would go so far as to say that we may well be able to tell compass heading subconsciously from the Earth's magnetic field as birds do- but why would the heading matter?

23:55  
Blogger Chalicechick said...

I'm not sure why that would be an am not inclined to believe it's Feng Shui, but I'm glad you're sleeping better.


CC

06:12  
Blogger Berrysmom said...

Count me in, PB. I used to be a Feng Shui sceptic, but my sister in law has convinced me otherwise. Now having said that, I can't say that we have arranged every room in the house according to Feng Shui... but my SIL has visited many times and pronounced it habitable and comfortable, so maybe we did something right by instinct.

Bed placement is particularly tricky, as beds are big and bedrooms might not be.

I say go with the anecdotal evidence. If your anxiety attacks have gone away, keep your bed where it is.

18:18  
Blogger Chalicechick said...

FWIW, Feng Shui is not working out so well for DirectTv.

CC

12:29  
Blogger alfren said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

01:44  

Post a Comment

<< Home