Monday, September 18, 2006

PeaceBang Bores You With More About What She's Eating

Alright, ya'll, I'm cooking my VERY FIRST COLLARD GREENS right now.

I hear they're supposed to stink up the kitchen something awful. I'll wait and see.

They, and the onion they're cooking with, are organic.

The bacon is nitrate-free, humanely raised, grain fed and all that jazz.

I am basically using meat more as flavoring than as the main show.

This is very exciting. Not to you, I know. Sorry!

In other news, I had a blessedly uneventful day and realized that I have a lot of rage stored up from something. Can't figure out what, but I'm glad to know it's there. As my old high school students used to say, "PeaceBang's fittin' a snap!"

Could it be that I'm angry at death? Mebbe.

Could it be that I'm experiencing some of that weird aggression Chalice Chick referenced in her post about going temporarily vegan?

I am now making a very big Spanky face from "The Little Rascals."

I'll report back about that in a few days. I know CC got a little bit of a smack around from some vegan commenters, but sometimes a physiological response is just a physiological response. No one wants to have it, but you have it.
The fact is, I get amazing insights when smoking my one cigarette a night.* I don't like that fact, but it's true.



*As I have revealed before, I am a seasonal smoker: I buy one packet of tobacco in the summer (usually August) and roll my own cigarettes. When that pack is done, I don't smoke any more for the rest of the year. This year I didn't open the packet until late August, so I'm probably going to be observing my small tobacco ritual through October.

9 Comments:

Blogger LaReinaCobre said...

I don't think a pack of cigarettes a year is going to kill you.

23:58  
Blogger Chalicechick said...

(((I don't think a pack of cigarettes a year is going to kill you. ))

Gee, I don't know. From what I hear being around any even secondhand smoke at all for any number of seconds leads to certain death, which is why business owners should be forced to ban smoking.

CC

07:36  
Blogger Steven Rowe said...

CC: as someone who is now violently allergic to cigarette smoke, I would agree with you there. (yep, agreeing with your sarcasm, not with you). If there isnt a real non-smoking section, then I cant go in - those folks who smoke beside "no smoking" sections make me sick (and they really do). but no, I dont yet throw up on the scent of cigarette smoke yet. (and i dunno about pipe tobacco, and campfire smoke seems ok so far).

StevenR - who admits he smoked as a college student, but not in the cafetaria, but whose friends did, and wonders how life would be different if he had this allergy then

08:29  
Blogger Paul Wilczynski said...

CC is absolutely right. It's a proven fact that anyone who is exposed to smoke, no matter how little and how often, dies.

(It's been 4 years, I think, since I've had a cigarette after smoking 2 packs or so a day for quite a number of years. I wish I had PB's strength of will!)

08:36  
Blogger PeaceBang said...

It isn't really strength of will so much as the fact that I'm lucky never to have gotten addicted.

The ridiculous thing is, I hate being around smoke!

08:52  
Blogger Chalicechick said...

Steven,

I didn't mean to derail PB's comments, but my cousin Julia is so violently allergic to peanuts that she can't go to one of those steakhouses where people eat peanuts and throw the shells on the floor.

People with heart conditions can't ride roller coasters.

Should we ban steakhouses and roller coasters?

I would advise you to avoid restaurants with smoking just as I would advise julia to avoid steakhouses where even the air has flakes of peanut shell in them.

But other people should be allowed to have steakhouses and cigar bars , IMHO.

CC

08:58  
Blogger Magdalene6127 said...

PB, I have been in and out of the Overeaters Anonymous movement. In my local group a friend shared some information with me about detoxing from sugar. It was fascinating. It takes about 10 days, according to this source, and each day has its emotional and physical turmoil, everything from fatigue to agitation to anger to night sweats. And when I went off sugar (I'm back on now, alas) I found it pretty accurate. I have been looking on Amazon for the book, but nothing seems to match what my friend told me (actually, she read it over the phone).

What was helpful to me was knowing that there are physiological responses to significant changes in diet.

Peace... Mags

09:16  
Blogger Peg said...

PeaceBang, I may be in the minority here -- hopefully not -- but I'm glad you talk about what you're eating. Local food (and organic whenever possible) is so much better for us as individuals, communities, even as a nation. Not to mention the planet. Sounds dramatic (and I suppose it is), but it's true. Not to mention it simply tastes way better! What's the statistic... in the U.S., our food travels an average of 1,200 miles to get to our supermarkets? Ridiculous.

If people choose to eat meat, my hope for them is that they know where it comes from and how it was raised, fed, and slaughtered. Those are for health reasons as much as ethical ones. To me, it's more the ignorant unchecked consumption, and the accompanying disregard for quality of animal life in the agribusiness industry, that's the overall problem (99 cent hamburgers, 2.99 whole chickens, and the like).

17:21  
Blogger PeaceBang said...

Thanks, Peg. I had a vegetarian lunch at a restaurant today that was totally fresh and delicious (wow! Green beans are SO GOOD WHEN THEY'RE FRESH!), and my dinner was so delicious that I almost called my Mom to brag about what a great cook I am. May I just say that my collard greens were just as good as at the restaurant?

Organic tastes absolutely amazing. Seriously.

21:51  

Post a Comment

<< Home