Monday, June 12, 2006

When It Happens, If It Happens

There comes a time in every life when we think, "How will I take care of myself?"

Eventually, that question turns to, "Who will take care of others who cannot take care of themselves? How can I help to do that?"

When this transition happens, we've achieved some kind of moral accountability with the world. You could say, in old-fashioned language, we have got religion.

In Unitarian Universalism, we often hear, "How will I get my needs met? If this- or-such happens, will I still be welcome?"

When we finally reach the day when we can all say together, "How can I help my congregation be a place that can better minister to those who might need us?" then I believe we will have lived into the vocation of our religion.

On my darkest days, I fear this exchange between a future mother and child:

"Mommy, who were the Unitarian Universalists?"

"They were a kind of discussion group and political organization for liberals who used to belong to a real religion and rejected it, but couldn't give up the habit of going to church on Sundays."

"Are there any left?"

"Oh, just a few here and there. Hardly any."

"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home