Monday, June 12, 2006

The Tony Awards

My general reaction to the Tony Awards was "Wha? ...huh? Oh, sorry, I was sleeping."

Highlights:
La Chanze winning Best Actress In A Musical over the monumentally irritating Patti LuPone and the generically adorable Sutton Foster.

My ranting to my mom on the phone as aforementioned Patti LuPone mumbled and mugged and sloppily slid her way (oh, excuse me, vocally interpreted her way) through scenes from Stephen Sondheim's masterpiece, "Sweeney Todd."

Chita Rivera. Just because she's Chita and it's always wonderful to see her.

Mom and I trying to figure out if Joanna Gleason has had work done. (We conclude that yes, she's had a brow lift).

Botox sightings on Julie Andrews and Barbara Cook, both of whom once possessed expressive brows but who are now frozenly lovely old divas.

The British author of "History Boys" receiving his Tony and thanking his partner of fifteen years and wishing him "Happy Anniversary, Bob." The fact that no one blinks twice at gay love at the Tonys is reason enough to tune in, methinks.

Deciding with Mom that the big number from the smash hit, "The Drowsy Chaperone" was cute, gimmicky and busy, not much more.

The shocking moment when "JERSEY BOYS" WON BEST MUSICAL!!

Give my regards to Broadway.

6 Comments:

Blogger Obijuan said...

I was routing for "Drowsy Chaperone" 'cause it looked like the most fun. LuPone and Michael Cerveris both annoyed me (I haven't liked anything Cerveris has done since "Tommy").

"Threepenny Opera" frightened me, which is a difficult task because I love it and Alan Cumming.

And can we please stop with the concert retrospective musicals. I love Frankie Valli, but I'd rather listen to him than an impersonator, no matter how good.

12:02  
Blogger Jess said...

My only positive comment about the concert-production-fest that is now the Broadway musical is that at least Broadway actors know how to dress themselves. I'd rather see a red carpet from the Tonys than any other award show.

I find it rather strange that "The Color Purple," a fabulous story about the realities of poor black communy, is a smash Broadway hit, where lots of people who would perhaps most identify with the story will never see it. What would make a larger statement? Putting that show on the road with free tickets. Come on, Oprah, you've got more money than God...

12:03  
Blogger Jess said...

You can tell we watched it together, right?

;-)

12:04  
Blogger PeaceBang said...

Actually, Oprah has made tickets available to tons of schools and community organizations in the black community. Just FYI.

I liked a lot of the fashions,too, but I have HAD IT WITH THAT "NATURAL" MAKE-UP! It's supposed to make everyone look fresh and dewy but it just makes the women look half dead. Only Joanna Gleason had an appropriate amount of color on her cheeks and lips. My mother lives for the day that Bernadette Peters does something different than the baby doll hair and the sleeveless golden gown. I say, hey, whatever works for you.

There was some very bad hair among the ladies, but many of the gents looked gorgeous in suits with silvery ties. Very handsome.

12:08  
Blogger Jess said...

See, I thought Joanna looked awful.

Good for Oprah - I wasn't able to find much with a quick Google, but I'm glad to hear it.

It's something about live theatre vs. movies - live theatre is so much more powerful, but movies are so much more accessible. Pity.

12:59  
Blogger Obijuan said...

I just wanna know if a memo went out about red dresses, or if it was a moment of synchronicity.

17:32  

Post a Comment

<< Home