Sunday, April 17, 2005

Bummer Earth



It finally happened:

I had to print out my homily in 14 point font this morning. These preaching eyes is getting old.

Anyway, it's a little Earth Day tribute I call "Bummer Earth." Mother Earth has retired and moved to Boca. She hired Bummer Earth to replace her.

"Bummer Earth isn't content with bumper stickers that say things like, 'God is Coming And Boy Is She Mad' or even (and I actually saw this the other day on a Ford Explorer), 'No Blood For Oil.' Bummer Earth doesn't care about our bumper stickers - -Bummer Earth wants to slash our tires and make us walk and bike everywhere. Bummer Earth has had it."

This is artist T-Man Sam's beautiful crazy vision for Bummer Earth, which he created just to inspire my homily. Because he is that awesome. I just ordered an 8x10 of it from Snapfish, and it's coming to church with me this morning:

v- bummah earth coll Vic (2)







7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to the home for the aged preachers. We need someone with your fashion sense around here.

I've been printing my sermons in 14 point since last fall, when I realized more pages was a small price to pay for being able to look quickly at the thing so I can look back at my wonderful congregation sooner.

19:50  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait another decade -- you'll be printing those sermons in 16 font like I do!

Bummer Earth is not happy... do I still get the t-shirt?

20:13  
Blogger PeaceBang said...

Soul Food, I dain't know who ye are!

Stay tuned for more T-man Art! My other favorite says, "REASON OVER PASSION OVER REASON" and I just had it made into a note pad!

21:08  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. I always printed my sermons in 16-point with 3 inch bottom margins. It made it much easier to keep my place and not look down so much, although it also meant that a sermon manuscript took more than a dozen pages. You've all been delivering sermons from 12-point manuscripts all these years? Amazing!

22:04  
Blogger Peregrinato said...

I've always printed my sermons...um, both of them...in at least 14 pt, generous leading (that's spacing between lines), arial (or other sans serif font)--in short, clean and easy on the eyes.

23:53  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm late twenties and don't wear glasses... but I've used 14-point Arial double spaced with three inch margins at the bottom for years.

10:09  
Blogger Chalicechick said...

I'm in the big type club. I gave my first and only lay-led sermon when I was something like 23. My glasses are for distance, yet still I printed it out in something like 16 or 18 point type so I didn't have to look down much.

CC

23:00  

Post a Comment

<< Home