Friday, April 15, 2005

Fluffy! Oh No!

I was more than a little bit disgusted when friends from all over the country started alerting me via e-mail that the very fine state of Wisconsin (state motto: "Drive Through Us On The Way to Minnesota!") was going to legalize cat-hunting.

Since I intend to drive through Wisconsin this summer on my way from Chicago to Winona to see the Minnesota Flash (D.M.) in a Shakespeare festival,

Alas Poor Cat, We Hardly Knew Ye
("Alas Poor Catrick! I knew him, Horatio...")

I wanted to get the straight dope.

It turns out that they're talking about shooting feral cats.

Oh, like that makes it okay.

This just in:

ADISON, Wis., April 13 (AP) - Wisconsin outdoorsmen have approved a proposal to legalize the killing of feral cats, but Gov. James E. Doyle said on Wednesday that the plan would fail.
"I don't think Wisconsin should become known as a state where we shoot cats," said Mr. Doyle, a Democrat who neither hunts nor owns a cat. "What it does is sort of hold us up as a state that everybody is kind of laughing at right now."


Mr. Doyle, we give you the Paw Salute from the Cat Loving Land of Massachusetts. And yes, everybody is kind of laughing at you right now. Stick to cheese and leave the pussies alone.

1 Comments:

Blogger mister anchovy said...

A year and a half ago a half-starved tom showed up at our place, panhandling. We named him Jerry, after Jerry Lewis in the Nutty Professor. Then, this last summer, Shadow showed up, beaten up, defeated, starving. Both live happily with us now, and I would call them both excellent house cats. I don't know they would call them ferel in Wisconsin, but these two just needed somebody to give them a break.

23:27  

Post a Comment

<< Home