Thursday, April 05, 2007

Snakes! Adventures in ExUrbia

Living in an old parsonage in the kind-of-rural suburbs has many charms. One of these charms is the Annual March of the Ants which usually begins about now, and which involves hundreds of ants marching determinedly through my kitchen giving me a huge case of the skeeves and my cat a huge source of crunchy protein.

You've heard, I gather, of my encounter with the three drowned mice in the olive oil. And the little one curled up dead in the empty can of organic bread crumbs. Et itself to death, poor little carb fiend. That was back in 2005, and I'm pretty much over it now. I can almost reach for the olive oil without flinching.

And then there was the infestation of black flies, during which I hummed the "Amityville Horror" theme as I swatted them down, one by nasty one. Those sumbitches make quite a splat mark on the wall.

Last summer, my NYC pal brought an infestation of bed bugs with her from campus housing. Shhh, she thinks it was fleas. From my cat who has never been outside in her life, and who apparently managed, in her cleverness, to concentrate the infestation right in the guest bedroom with all my friend's clothing and belongings instead of in places around the house where she actually spends time.

So you can imagine how much I enjoyed this,
http://billbraine.blogspot.com/2007/03/serpents-of-paradise.html
and I think you will, too. It's some of the most charming blogger writing I've seen lately.

Mr. Braine, I'm a new fan.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bill Braine said...

Thanks! And likewise. Now, were you doing a secular search (animal infestations)or a religious one (serpents and paradise)?

Either way, thanks for visiting!

10:49  
Blogger PeaceBang said...

Bill,I took a very circuitous route to your blog -- it was on the blogroll of a visitor to my Beauty Tips For Ministers blog and the title piqued my interest.

Snakes are one of the only infestations I *haven't* had, and let's just say I'm real happy about that.

10:53  

Post a Comment

<< Home