Thursday, March 29, 2007

Papa to "Kraut"

Thirty letters between star-crossed hotties Marlene Dietrich and Ernest Hemingway are being released by the JFK Library today and I, for one, can't wait to read them. They include beauts like this, written from him to her on June 19, 1950:

"What do you really want to do for a life work?Break everybody's heart for a dime? You could always break mine for a nickel and I'd bring the nickel."

When I tell you they don't make 'em like that anymore, they don't make 'em like that anymore.

They don't make 'em like Marlene, and they don't make 'em like Hemingway.
Damn.

marlene

And what do we have now for female movie icons? Reese Witherspoon? Or, like, Julia Roberts?

2 Comments:

Blogger LaReinaCobre said...

Why do people generally not talk like that anymore? Why is our public language today so devoid of color? The only time I hear of people saying things like this anymore is when a friend living in the south recounts something she's heard a coworker or fellow church member say.

12:47  
Blogger Janis Bland said...

I think we're living in a hyper-sensitive society completely devoid of common sense, where political correctness has removed any sense of interesting language.

That's my .02.

Myself, I'd be flattered to be called a "dame".

17:48  

Post a Comment

<< Home