Saturday, April 28, 2007

Preacher's Bullpen

So I'm watching the Yankees-Red Sox game last night when really, I should be working on my sermon, and I'm thinking hey, how come we don't have a preacher's bullpen we can go to when we're at the seventh inning of the church year?

This could be a great job for talented retirees. It could be like, "Weinstein has given twenty-five decent sermons this year but her arm is obviously giving out -- she's thrown a few real bad ones in the past weeks, let's see who's warming up in the bullpen."

And then there would be this shot of two ministers out back in the memorial garden, dressed in vestments, walking around talking and gesticulating.

Then God would come up to the pulpit, put His arm around me and lead me down while the next preacher steps up. I'd get to sit in the back of the sanctuary and drink a cup of coffee and watch the rest of the service.

Anyway, it's hard to see those Yankee pitchers just suck through a straw and know that they're being paid more per minute than most of us make in a year. LORD, thou mockest me!

6 Comments:

Blogger revmama24 said...

I love the idea of the Bullpen - and of sitting in the back with coffee as an observer. I get like this a couple of times a year - preaching exhaustion, I guess. I usually 'phone one in' by playing a song or sharing something from Will Willemon or Barbara Brown Taylor. I tell my congregation (and I believe) that the gospel is revealed to us in a number of ways. Sometimes, I am not the best one equipped to bring the message. I just make sure never to do that AFTER a vacation, tempting though it may be.

13:25  
Blogger Lizard Eater said...

Okay, PB, I'm "virtually" spending time with you. First, I went out shopping tonight for a new dress, on the excuse that I'm going into a new pulpit tomorrow. You think I didn't hear your voice at my shoulder? "No, too hippy-dippy. No, too casual. No, too frumpy."

Then, just now, I opened up the OOS file from the lector. (Procrastinate much ...) And I see it says:

"Offering Statement – Rev. Victoria Weinstein"

Hey! I'm doing a service with PeaceBang!

21:12  
Blogger PeaceBang said...

Hey, what fun!
I'm sure you'll look beautiful and have a lovely service.
Blessings!

22:29  
Blogger Peg said...

Ahem... a bit of a cheap shot, no?, when Boston's payroll is right up there with the Yankees' these days. If only our standings were right up there with yours, too... although we did prevent a home-series sweep by your Sawx today, so that's something.

22:44  
Blogger PeaceBang said...

When it comes to overpaid ball players, I'm an equal opportunity ranter! You should have heard me complain about Matsuzaka's salary when it was announced!

Wait, I thought we won today. We didnt?

23:15  
Blogger jcurmudge said...

No! Bu 6 our of 7 ain't bad. Go Sox.

21:50  

Post a Comment

<< Home