Friday, April 06, 2007

Overheard on the Red Line, Good Friday

I'm standing crammed in with dozens of other greater Boston-area citizens on the train from Downtown Crossing to Braintree.

As we pull into the JFK-UMass station, this exceedingly nerdy-looking kid, probably 20 or so years old, blonde, cute, nice sideburns, opens his phone and dials.

"Hello, grampy? It's me. I'm at JFK-UMass... yeah. I'm at JFK-UMass! .... I'm at the JFK-UMass station. . . . I'm on the T. ... JFK-UMass."
(patiently listens)
...
"I just got to JKF-UMass."

... (more patient listening)

"I just got here. I'm at JFK-UMass. At the station."

"Right! JFK-UMass! It's a nice day so I'll walk. No, I will. I want to. I'll see you really soon."
. . . (listening)
"I can't wait."

The kid was wearing a huge LL Bean backpack adorned with a bright orange rabbit's foot.

It just made my day. I bet his visit made grampy's day, too.

I hope you get to spend some time soon with someone who can't wait to see you, and who doesn't hesitate to tell you so.
MBTA RedLine

2 Comments:

Blogger Maggie said...

Awww...so sweet I could cry. I just love those little moments ... one good side to the cell phone!

14:46  
Blogger Caminante said...

I keep telling my nieces and nephews (since I have no children) to enjoy their grandparents, because they aren't going to be around for ever. Don't take them for granted.

11:37  

Post a Comment

<< Home