Monday, March 19, 2007

Taking A Sabbath Day

This morning I decided to take a whole day of Sabbath, where I would actually do no work at all.

It's 5:40 pm now and I am doing pretty well at it.

I did do some dishes but I have refrained from putting away the laundry or cleaning up my desk or answering any church e-mail.

I have been reading, and lazing, and sleeping. I have been staring out the window and thinking. I have been petting the cat. And reading some more.

I have been breathing deeply and not having any adrenalin rushes, except for seeing one e-mail subject line that referenced "gossip" which made me think that someone was gossiping about me and that I'd have to go into upset/defense mode. But that wasn't it, so I was able to relax.

I am reading Elizabeth Gilbert's book Eat, Pray, Love and although I enjoyed the section on Italy and really enjoy her very much as a writer, I am not sure that I like her as a person. The book seems to assume that I will, in fact, fall in love with the narrator, but so far I'm not there. This may impede my ability to read the rest of the book.

I am also reading something called How To Write a Book Proposal but it made my heart race with a sense that I should Get Right On It, so I put it away.

I am also reading Praying For Sheetrock, and the latest issue of Food & Wine magazine, which to tell you the truth, is the best sort of thing to read on a sabbath day.

It's very cold outside so I'm not going out there. I am not washing my hair or putting on make-up or arranging my face into anything but an expression of quiet and repose. I don't need to have anything to say, or anything to suggest. Just for 15 hours or so.

I am not even going to put a new ink cartridge into the printer. That would be work.

2 Comments:

Blogger Janis Bland said...

Hee! Love it.

It's past 9pm. I'm sure Gleason will paw me to say, "Time for bed, Mama!'

21:11  
Blogger EmJay said...

Keep reading Eat, Pray, Love. I listened to it as an audiobook last year. I didn't like her either, but I think you will find the Pray and Love sections worthwhile. I'm still not sure I like her much, but I found her journey interesting.

16:31  

Post a Comment

<< Home