Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Charred Paper

While I was sweating it out on the elliptical cross-trainer today at the gym, all the television screens were showing footage of the fire in NYC. As you have undoubtedly heard, a small plane crashed into a 50-story condo, killing at least four people.

At the time I assumed that many people and animals were trapped in the building, and it just felt obscene to be watching their fiery demise live on television. I bowed my head as I worked out, trying not to watch. It was all too reminiscent of Sept. 11th, a day America watched people die on live television. We should not have seen that. However, given the unprecedented nature of the day, I understand that editorial choices had to be made that did not err on the side of sensitivity, but tried to fulfill our desperate need to know what the hell was going on.

Of course the vile media bastards at Fox News took close-up footage of a big chunk of something like charred PAPER falling out of a window and they showed it again and again as if it was something incredibly poignant and important, which was a total visual reference to people jumping out of the Twin Towers on 9/11, and don't tell me they didn't know that. What a bunch of manipulative &%$s. I could just hear some producer say, "Get something falling out the window! I don't care what it is! If you can't get a person, get SOMETHING!"

Fox News, you are just too disgusting for words.

My fingers are so cold I can barely type. It's October 12th tomorrow. Do I have permission from anyone to turn the heat on yet? Staunch Yankee types, please advise.

4 Comments:

Blogger LaReinaCobre said...

I didn't hear about this until I came home tonight and read about it on the uu blogs. So strange.

23:56  
Blogger fausto said...

I heard on the radio that nobody was hurt in the crash except the two occupants of the plane. Some firefighters were also treated for smoke inhalation.

11:15  
Blogger ronia the resilient said...

turn on the heat.
It snowed in wisconsin today.

Dame O.

18:43  
Blogger Grey Owl said...

Am I watching too much of The Daily Show, or are neo-cons like Fox really passing over into caricature in our culture? They say most young people get their news from Jon Stewart now, and The Colbert Report after it. Its got to be having an affect, you would hope.

10:16  

Post a Comment

<< Home