Sunday, July 23, 2006

Life In An SUV

As you may recall, I got a 2002 Honday CRV a month or so ago.

I'm paying a little bit more for gas, but since I've gone into a bigger vehicle I've noticed a few things:

1. People don't tailgate me as treacherously as they used to. In fact, they hardly tailgate at all, and that was a constant terror in my Honda Civic.

2. I can see much better for night driving.

3. I am a much calmer, and therefore probably safer, driver. For example, I don't white-knuckle the steering wheel when driving next to jersey barriers or when a big truck roars up alongside me.

4. Long drives don't leave me feeling all crunched up and sore.

5. I can cart big things around with the greatest of ease.

As much as I hated to do it, the bigger car was absolutely the right choice for me. Which is exactly the thinking that contributes to global warning and our demise as a species. Don't think I don't know it. I know, I know.

2 Comments:

Blogger aola said...

I have 2 kids and a wheel chair to haul around so I drive a Chevy Astro van (23mpg). I did have a bigger GMC van that only got 8mpg so I have made all the sacrifice I'm gonna make.

22:28  
Blogger Peg said...

I'm just passing through, courtesy of BlogHer, and I had to comment. There's a wonderful program called TerraPass that might make you feel a little better about your CRV's emissions.

TerraPasses vary in price, depending on the make and model of your vehicle, but the money you spend is used to fund clean energy projects. The thought is that by buying a TerraPass you're helping to offset your own vehicle's emissions.

I know it sounds like I work for them, but honestly I don't. I'm just a fan, and thought it was worth mentioning. We have two of them (one for our old Chevy S-10 pickup and one for our snazzy little VW Golf). It's also a great conversation starter about little things we can do to help make a difference in our environment.

19:26  

Post a Comment

<< Home