Tuesday, May 02, 2006

More On Stephen Colbert's Brilliant Riposte

Philocrites has written a wonderful piece about Stephen Colbert's shocking 25-minute monologue at the White House Correspondent's Association Dinner the other night: http://www.philocrites.com

I just watched the video tape (I suggest that you read the transcript in its entirety at http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2006/4/30/1441/59811) after having heard most of the great bits from my sister two nights ago. What really struck me was how much of a kick the women in the audience seemed to get from the most wicked comments, while the men mostly sat stony-faced.
This is a huge generalization, but women in a mostly male industry love it when male power is lampooned. Those gals were eating that stuff UP.

I noticed that Stephen's religion line got a really huge, genuine laugh. Actually there were lots more laughs than I had been led to expect. From what I had heard, Stephen was too "unfunny" and too extreme to be appreciated. But if you listen, there's plenty of big laughs on the soundtrack.

I am incredibly proud of Steve for managing to stay in character with such integrity while standing ten feet away from the most powerful man on the planet. No one I've read has commented on the fact that Stephen is not just a comedian and a clever faux pundit (a job that must require a massive daily onslaught of information and interpretation -- you've got to understand it before you can satirize it, right?) he's also a marvelous actor. He created a wonderful character in Stephen Colbert of "The Colbert Report" and he totally inhabits that character at all times. The real Steve Colbert is nothing like his on-camera persona. He's a sweetie, in fact.

I cannot believe he had the nerve to bring it on like that. At the end of the transcript all I could think was that silly line from that teen dance-off movie of a few years ago:

Mr. President...YOU GOT SERVED!

2 Comments:

Blogger fausto said...

PB, you knew M. Colbert in college?

Were you the inspiration behind his recent lampoon of UUs?

15:09  
Blogger PeaceBang said...

Yes Fausto, we were pals.

I was not the inspiration behind his recent lampoon of UUs. We haven't seen each other since he graduated.

10:22  

Post a Comment

<< Home