Saturday, April 29, 2006

PeaceBang's Little Helper

I take back every bad thing I ever said about the i-Pod:

http://peacebang.blogspot.com/2005/05/mothers-little-helper.html

Yes, it can be used to tune out life, block out other people, and to provide a steady stream of blissful memories that can help us avoid our current reality. But I don't use it that way.

I got mine in January and not only did it get me to and from Spain without a panic attack on the plane, it has made exercising something I look forward to.

Before the i-Pod, I got to the gym every once in awhile. I started getting more serious last October as I began to feel the stress-relieving benefits of regular exercise.

Then I got my i-Pod. I created several work-out playlists, and a cool-down list. I have started to think of the gym as my playground, and of exercise as something I just have to do, like brushing my teeth.
I started to enjoy my times at the gym more. I never socialized there in the first place, aside from friendly nods and some casual chat at the weights. I'm breathing too hard to chat, man.
Then I started downloading podcasts and now I kind of love going to the gym.
I subscribe to the following free podcast services:
The New York Times headlines
NY Times Worldview
NY Times movie reviews
Siskel and Ebert movie reviews (or whoever that new guy is)
WGBH Classical Performances
The Washington Post Politics On Air
A weird thing called Dublab (not sure what this is yet)
Open Source with Christopher Leyden
Salon.com Gabfest
American Experience (everything from Jesse James to the San Francisco earthquake to The Boy In the Bubble)

I am better informed now than ever. As a nice side effect, my blood pressure is down, my blood sugar is down, my cholesterol is down and my weight is down (not much, but down). I went out for a 30-minute walk today and stayed out for an hour. Why? My podcasts were really good.

I'm just really grateful for the damn thing.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tiff/Stephen said...

Welcome to "I want my stuff and I want it now! I experienced the same thing last fall and my life is better because of the I-Pod...

15:05  
Blogger Tiff/Stephen said...

Welcome to "I want my stuff and I want it now!" I experienced the same thing last fall and my life is better because of the I-Pod...

15:06  

Post a Comment

<< Home