Thursday, April 27, 2006

"On the Latest Form of Infidelity"

I went to the Andover-Newton library today to obtain a copy of Henry Ware, Jr.'s famous essay on the connection (or, as he writes, "connexion") between the pulpit and the pastoral role. After the library assistant handed me the ancient book and I flipped through it, I realized to my great and hysterical delight that it contained the entire pamphlet war between Andrews Norton and George Ripley following Emerson's Divinity School Address of 1838!!!

I have been wanting to read those slap-downs for YEARS and as of next week, after the library copies the pages for me, I can.

I'm sure some of you wonks out there will tell me that I could have found all these documents in some really accessible place, like on the coffee table in the Harvard Div School Library or something, but I don't want to hear it. pooh.

1 Comments:

Blogger fausto said...

You know, of course, that we expect a sermon out of this.

11:48  

Post a Comment

<< Home