Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Reviewing the Principles and Purposes

Philocrites and Boy In the Bands and all kinds of UU bloggers are talking about it and commenting on it.

I will too, as soon as I get some time.

I grew up in a Unitarian Universalism without the Seven Principles. I think they've been a help to us in the past ten years, and have become a hindrance in the past five or six. Why? Because too many overly-earnest UUs have adopted them as a quasi-creed, and because we generally grossly misinterpret the first principle and use it in a disturbingly, narcissistic "Don't Tell Me I Can't Say/Do That Cuz I Got Inherent Worth And Dignity" way that violates its original intent.
And because they lack poetry and they're comically verbose (ever tried to memorize the first Source? I always start with the "transcending mystery and wonder, known in many cultures... bla bla bla" and just say, "In other words, GOD." Which always gets a big laugh, and we move on).

And because worst of all, congregations don't think they need their own covenant becuase "we have the Seven Principles!" Which are part of the covenant between member congregations of the Unitarian Universalist Association, possums, not your own congregation's covenant.

And PeaceBang is a big believer in the power of the congregational covenant, and not a behavioral covenant, either, which is a whole 'nuther thing.

Well, I guess I found the time. That's that.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jaume de Marcos Andreu said...

I am not opposed to the revision of the UUA Principles. I just hope that the outcome of the process will not create even more theological confusion in this melting pot of religious beliefs that the UUA is becoming.

17:32  
Blogger Bill Baar said...

I know my Church's covenant but don't have clue about the seven principles.

08:15  
Blogger Rev NDM said...

I agree w/ Jaume. I also think that this will become the new big focus for UUism, for better or worse. As I've said before, there's a battle brewing sooner or later.

18:28  

Post a Comment

<< Home