Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Please Pray For My Sweet Girl

My darling striped baby, my comforter and honey, is desperately sick and spending the night in the hospital in an oxygen bed.

She has acute pneumonia.

I have no idea how this happened. All I know is that she was sneezing a lot a few weeks ago, and then a few days ago started picking at her food. Still, she was energetic and snuggly and purring and fine. She slept in the crook of my arm on New Year's Eve.

Today I noticed with concern that she hadn't seemed to have touched her food. I came home in the afternoon and called for her. She didn't answer. I called for her again. I looked everywhere for her. I made distressed Mommy Kitty Cat noises. She didn't come.

Finally, finally, she appeared at the railing of the stairs. I ran up and scooped her up in my arms and put her on the bed to inspect her, just knowing that she wouldn't have hidden out so carefully if she wasn't sick.
She was gasping for breath. I got her to the hospital where X-rays revealed a terrible white cloudy mess all around her lungs.

They didn't have an oxygen tent there so I brought her to the bigger animal hospital nearby, driving very carefully and begging her not to die the whole way.

I left her tonight in her little oxygen container, and I have to say that as I petted her goodbye through the little hole in the side with tears spilling down my face, she looked totally unconcerned. She was like, "I love you, but I'm a cat. I'm totally Buddha about all of this."

I know *she's* non-attached, but I'm VERY attached.

I love her so much. I know you know that.
Please say a prayer to St. Francis for Ermengarde.

[Update: Thursday morning at 6:10. She made it through the night!! She got worse, then she stabilized, then she started getting better! She ATE! She peed! They are keeping a close eye on her and the woman I spoke to said she was in love and actually pulled up a chair next to her pen to see if Ermie slept at all. She said Erm has started breathing with her mouth closed again so they're upgrading her status. The doctor is calling with a radiologist report mid-morning. Thank you all for your prayers, I love you for understanding. I had a terrible night of nightmares. I have never slept in this house without her. There was so much energy gone. She is the guardian angel of this parsonage, and I see now that it is HER domain!!-- VW]

[Update at 2:10 pm -- very bad news. It doesn't seem to be pneumonia, but some kind of embollism or cancer or something else chronic and deadly. I've been crying all day. The doctor is supposed to call soon. They are "keeping her comfortable." - PB]

25 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How terrible! Hang in there, Ermengarde! I do hope she recovers.

22:07  
Blogger Chalicechick said...

Sending good wishes your way!

CC, theCSO

Boris, Cool Disco Dan, Esperanto and Ursus.

22:07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ermengarde--and you--are in my prayers. Please keep us updated.

22:36  
Blogger Lizard Eater said...

Lighting a candle for the pussytat. Love from Molly, Lizard Eater's lizard eater

22:59  
Blogger fausto said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

23:03  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweetie pie, I'm so sorry!

It's hard when you figure out just how much you love a kitty cat. Our Hobbes used to get out of our previous house, but he always came back - until the day he didn't. The kids and I walked around the neighborhood calling for him for days and days. 16 days later we got a phone call from a Humane Society 40 miles away. They found him and scanned his microchip, and luckily we were able to get him back even though it cost a fortune to bail him out.

Those whole two weeks I tried to resign myself to him being gone for good, and it hurt so much. Five years later and he's still my kitty baby, even when he's a pain in the neck. ;-)

Sending good wishes for dear Erm - she's such a beautiful sweet darling.

23:10  
Blogger fausto said...

Lord Creator of all that is, Who first madest animals before Thou madest mankind, and Who calledst upon Thy servant Noah to safeguard them in the face of Thy wrath at human failing: Look with compassion upon Thy servant PeaceBang's beloved companion Ermengarde, a creature of Thine own handiwork and a true image of Thine inscrutable divine mystery. Breathe into her Thy holy and redemptive Spirit, we beseech Thee, and return her to perfect health. Guide gently and surely the hands of all who care for her, that they may be instruments of Thy peace, as Thy servant Francis once bid, and restorers of Thy wholeness. And, we beg in all humility, no matter how Thy will be done, enfold Thy servant PeaceBang in the sure comfort and confidence of Thy boundless love and compassion, that she may see in her affection for Ermengarde a clear reflection of Thine unlimited love for all Thy creation and the ties that bind us all to one another in the interdependent web of existence of which Thou art the beginning and the end. Amen.

23:21  
Blogger Christine Robinson said...

Prayers for her and for you. May all be well for you both.

00:56  
Blogger Jennifer Garrison Brownell said...

prayers and hugs for you both

01:27  
Blogger JohnP said...

Oh PB. Prayers for you both -

06:02  
Blogger Jody Harrington said...

Just read this and I'm so glad to see the update. Get better soon Ermengarde AND PB!

09:51  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad that things (lungs!) are clearing up for Ermengarde.

10:11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

May all the cat gods look kindly upon Ermengarde and her very caring human.

I'm glad to hear she made it through the night.

10:28  
Blogger Lilylou said...

Loosy the Love Cat and Lily My Lou send their catly prayers up for their East Coast sister Ermengarde. And so do I, their human, for both Ermie and you, PeaceBang.

Ms. Kitty, Loosy, and Lily

10:55  
Blogger zorra said...

Still praying. Glad for the good update.

11:58  
Blogger Kate said...

I'm SO glad Ermie is doing better! I'll be thinking of you both and sending warm, healing wishes from Jersey.

12:10  
Blogger Miss Kitty said...

You & Ermengarde are in my thoughts & prayers! Sending lots of kitty-snuggles and good vibes your way. Makes me want to go snuggle all my critters.

13:43  
Blogger Miss Kitty said...

Oh no! Poor girl! But she made it through the night--she (and you) are in my thoughts and prayers! All the people & critters around here send you warm furry love.

13:44  
Blogger fausto said...

Oh, no.

(((PeaceBang)))

(((Ermengarde)))

15:17  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll pray for you both tonight. I'm so so sorry.

16:44  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dear. Prayers ascending continually.

18:00  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blessings for you both. I know how hard this is. Poor little love.

18:00  
Blogger ronia the resilient said...

thinking of you and loved kitty---

Dame O

18:01  
Blogger Adam Tierney-Eliot said...

You both have our prayers, PB. Do take care of yourself and let us know if there is any way we can help...

19:09  
Blogger Psalmist said...

Oh, dear! I am sosorry to hear this latest news. I'm holding you both close in prayer, PeaceBang. May God hold you and your sweet darling especially close to the divine Heart right now.

19:51  

Post a Comment

<< Home