Saturday, December 30, 2006

Festival of Homiletics

OH MAN, I am jubilant!
I registered to attend the Festival of Homiletics in Nashville from May 21-25th and even though I'm teaching later that month, I just HAD to go.

Listen to the names of some of the people I'll be hearing preach and lecture:

Barbara Brown Taylor
Fred Craddock
Jim Wallis
James Forbes
Walter Brueggemann
William Willimon
Anna Carter Florence

Can you STAND it?

The theme is Prophetic Preaching with an emphasis on MUSIC -- traditional, blended, gospel and jazz worship.

I got this in the mail and I did a little wiggly dance of wanting to register so badly and the Chair of my Worship Committee was in the office at the time and saw me getting all wild and she just laughed and said, "Go!" So I'm going.

I must have become a terrible nerd to be so excited to sit around all day and listen to lectures and sermons on homiletics, but the thing is, I love preaching a lot and I want to be good at it, and I only took one little preaching class in seminary and I'm sorry but that's JUST NOT SUFFICIENT.

Honestly, I just looked at the brochure again and now I'll be up all night, wired with anticipation. I need to calm down.

2 Comments:

Blogger fausto said...

Nothing enhances homiletics with an emphasis on gospel music lke a little wiggly dance.

So fly away to Nashville, singin' "I'll Fly Away" even, and break a leg, or at least break into a shimmy, but remember, it ain't really Nashville if you ain't got a BANJO.

(And tell your pal Perpetua that the chair of her Worship Committee wants to know if she'll be going along with you for the duets.)

22:36  
Blogger Berrysmom said...

I just got out my calendar. I could do this. Probably won't, but I could.

You go for me, PB, and tell us all about it when you get home.

17:18  

Post a Comment

<< Home