Monday, December 11, 2006

Marjorie Bowens-Wheatley

My heart is heavy today with the news that Marjorie Bowens-Wheatley has passed from this life.

Her husband Clyde shares the news here,
http://justworld.typepad.com/perspectives/

I always thought that Marjorie was beautiful and smart and faithful and fierce. She intimidated me -- and I'm not easily intimidated -- because she was just such a cool kid. But she was also warm and encouraging, and she spread her good stuff around generously. Hanging around her I learned that her fierceness wasn't against you, it was for a vision she had. When we talk about ministerial presence, I think of her. She had presence, and it was about something deep.

That great voice of hers.
I'm grateful that she left so many eloquent words behind in written form, but we will miss that voice.

I remember when I first found out that she and Clyde were romantically involved. I spotted them walking down the street holding hands at a conference and I immediately became a sixth grader, all "Ooooh, Marjorie and Clyde sittin' in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G!" Even from a distance I could tell that she was beaming and he was looking like a happy man and I thought, "Whoo hoo! A strong, fierce minister sister has got herself a honey! There's hope for me yet!"

My deepest condolences are with him today.

Strong, fierce, lovely and wise minister sister Marjorie, God bless you and keep you.
We give thanks for your life and your loves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home