Thursday, December 07, 2006

Matthew Sanford

I have a sore throat.
I handed in a 25 page paper on Tuesday.
I have mostly planned Christmas Eve for church. But the tree here isn't decorated yet and I'm not sure when it will be.
I cannot stand thinking about the 17th century for another few days, even though I have another paper due any minute now on covenant and the Puritans.

I am whining.

So last evening, with an hour to spare before leading Women's Wisdom at church and feeling that I could neither concentrate on BANJO or subject my brain to one more page about the Puritans, I picked up :

Waking: A Memoir of Trauma and Transcendence by Matthew Sanford.

Once I got past the fairly poorly-written introduction and into the first narrative chapters, I was riveted.

If you are interested in yoga, if you are interested in the mind-body connection, if you are interested in families, if you are drawn to healing stories, if you are a preacher, if you are a person with a body, you may want to read this book.

Here is the Amazon link so you can get a gander at it, but you'll buy it at a local bookseller, I'm sure:

http://tinyurl.com/ybvvc2

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I just heard him on a podcast of the NPR program "Speaking of Faith." I definitely want to read his book - thanks for reminding me!

19:33  
Blogger PeaceBang said...

Hey Alison, that's how I heard of him! I LOVE "Speaking of Faith!" So glad you know of it!

19:41  

Post a Comment

<< Home