Saturday, August 05, 2006

A Lovely Gift And Breathing

A reader of this blog sent me an absolutely beautiful Anglican Rosary as a gift, and I am thrilled and so grateful. I have a little book called "Holding Your Prayers In Your Hands: Praying the Anglican Rosary" by Kristin M. Elliott and Betty Key Seibt that provides simple instructions and many prayers, and I'm going to start using it again.

Since my anxiety symptoms usually kick in just as I am drifting off to sleep (damned annoying, but I'm used to it by now), I think I may try to reprogram my brain a bit by praying the rosary just before bed.

Last summer I bought a two CD set of breathing exercises by Dr. Andrew Weill. I have yet to listen to the entire set. What I think I might do is load them onto my i-Pod and take them with me on a quiet retreat somewhere, because I can't seem to sit still long enough to get through many of the exercise. My problem is that I always get fits of the giggles when I think about the stupidity of having to learn how to breathe. That's what I think, then I get Bugs Bunny type images in my head, then I crack up, then I lie on my back breathing from the diaphragm because I gave myself hiccups.

I'm a little high strung.

Perhaps Dr. Weill might recommend a stiff shot of Bombay Sapphire before breathing lessons for persons such as myself.

For those of you with anxiety disorder: do you ever find yourself starting to get anxiety symptoms when you read about anxiety? Ain't that a kicker?

You know what the best thing is for anxiety?

Vacation.

And during the vacation, you should spend as much time as possible floating in the water, preferably while a close friend or family member sits within waving distance on shore or on the dock, reading a book and feeling like a very safe parent who will never let you float away. You can bob around on a noodle or just body surf, or maybe flop on an inflatable raft.

Don't forget to put sunblock on your back. Mine is very pink right now because I went out in Big Mama Ocean today and didn't want to get out to put more sunscreen on. Of course as I was paddling around looking like a big happy manatee in my bathing suit, I ran into a congregant! Right out in the middle of the ocean. I was darned happy to see her, too. She had a very cute yellow bikini and we giggled and rode the waves.

1 Comments:

Blogger LaReinaCobre said...

I've come to the conclusion that one of the reasons I find traveling so restful is because I don't have any of my *stuff* with me. Well, very little of it. All of that stuff I don't use, but sits there in the house collecting dust, needing to be repaired, cleaned, used and so on.

That and I don't have to go to work. But I think the lack of stuff is actually more important.

14:20  

Post a Comment

<< Home