Monday, September 19, 2005

When Book Stores Die

I went to Harvard Square today paspifically to shop at The Globe bookstore, a treasure-trove of travel books that was a delight to browse in for hours.
I was going to plunk myself down in the Spain and Portugal section and just fantasize away about the Prado and Dali museums and tapas and flamenco. I'm gonna get to see those Hieronymous Bosches at the Prado this January if it kills me.

But The Globe ain't there. And just as I was blinking hard and trying to get over my ridiculous sense of loss, I got to the corner of JFK and Brattle Streets and found that Wordsworth Books was also gone. Empty. Not even taken over by an Abercrombie & Fitch or GAP or anything.

I'm just sick inside. Did we cause this by shopping at Barnes & Noble and Amazon.com?

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

1 Comments:

Blogger PeaceBang said...

You mean the Globe? Yes, the guy at Bob Slate's said that the one downtown is still there, tank gods.
You should definitely go on the that trip before the Final Judgment, which I'm pretty sure is coming soon. And when it does, I want to make sure to have had some tapas and great wine, which is why I'm going to Spain this winter.

21:29  

Post a Comment

<< Home