Thursday, August 10, 2006

Birthing A Cow

I do a lot of writing for my work, and I have found that blogging helps a lot in keeping my writerly brain revved and ready to go. People who read this blog might think, "My god, where does she find the time to blog?" But truth to tell, all this writing is a really good warm-up for my other writing responsibilities. I zoom from one to the other.

I blog instead of smoking (haven't had a bit of 'baccy in a year), instead of pacing nervously, and instead of talking on the phone or writing a lot of long-winded e-mail to my posse. The time I used to spend doing those things goes into blogging instead, and I imagine my friends and family might be somewhat relieved of the burden of being the constant repositories of my verbal mania. Even my congregation should be grateful that I can discharge some of my verbosity as PeaceBang rather than subject them to it.

I think that the amount of time I spend on other aspects of my work (thinking, planning, praying, researching, counseling, mentoring, supervising, witnessing, etc.) has remained steady since I began blogging. In fact, my passion for some aspects of ministry is enriched by the exercise of blogging and being part of the UU (and beyond) blogosphere. The day that changes, PeaceBang will be over and out.

Interestingly enough, since I started blogging I also started a doctoral program, became a teacher of seminarians, and began a regular regiment of exercise at my health club. Could it be said that blogging gives us more energy or focus? What do you think?

But this paper I'm trying to write is definitely kicking my butt and blogging isn't helping.

This thing is like birthing a cow out of my butt. Seven pages over two days.

My point is, I'm just procrastinating this time. Ain't no higher call or anything noble about it. Blogging apparently does not help in birthing a cow out of your butt.

4 Comments:

Blogger fausto said...

What sort of cow? Maybe we could help midwife it.

15:32  
Blogger PeaceBang said...

Just a big, stupid UU worship and liturgy cow. And it's still stuck halfway out, mooing.

16:32  
Blogger fausto said...

Well, what are the other kinds of UU worship and liturgy cows? Or are all UU worship and liturgy cows big and stupid and stuck halfway out, mooing? Answer those questions and the paper writes itself.

20:03  
Blogger PeaceBang said...

THEY'RE ALL JUST COWS!! BIG ONES! BE QUIET AND GET ME SOME SUSHI!

20:10  

Post a Comment

<< Home