Sunday, March 26, 2006

When Is It Creedal?

I discovered a very old conversation over at belief.net featuring some of my favorite UU bloggers. They were debating whether or not UUA President Bill Sinkford's statement on choice constitutes a creed or not.
It's from 2004 and it's here: http://tinyurl.com/q66bj
(not to open old wounds or anything)

It's actually a great conversation, and given that the public conversation on choice is heating up a lot lately, look to the Reverend Mr. Sinkford to be making a lot more announcements, pronouncements and issuing statements that begin, "we believe."

My personal take is that unless a statement is being used in a congregational setting as a theological test for membership, it's not a creed. Even if it begins, "We believe," it's not strictly a creed (although I'm hip to the Latin thing with "credo"). That's not to say that I discount Chalice Chick and others' objections, I just don't think they're quite on the mark, although close to it.

All I can say is, when I'm President of the UUA I'm hiring Fausto to be my official statement checker. Day-ang.

1 Comments:

Blogger fausto said...

When you' become UUA Pres, PB, I'll have your back.

17:03  

Post a Comment

<< Home