Friday, October 28, 2005

I Thought I Had It

I've been making apple crisps unsuccessfully for years, and tonight I thought I finally had it! I thought the trick was to pour vanilla sauce over the whole works before the final 20 minutes of baking. It finally LOOKED like apple crisp should look.

I don't know if it's because I had to resort to using soy milk for one cup of the two cups of milk called for (I only had one cup of cow milk in the fridge) or if Macintosh apples are a bit too mushy, but I have before me a plate of the CLOSEST I have ever come to a really excellent apple crisp. I think the oats were a bit stale, too. We are SO CLOSE, though.

Back to the test kitchens, I guess. But not tonight. I feel so crummy I'm surprised I had the energy to even peel 8 apples.

This will make a great breakfast for the next, oh, 18 or so days.

1 Comments:

Blogger LaReinaCobre said...

I think for apple crisps you should use a tarter apple. Baking apples should be tarter. Macintoshes are a bit too sweet.

22:17  

Post a Comment

<< Home