Monday, September 05, 2005

Snake Shooter

What must it have been like for that CNN reporter to ride a boat down the streets of New Orleans and hear people crying for help, trapped inside their attics with no way out?

Do you just want to go crazy, tearing out your hair and clawing at your skin, hearing this? Do you just want to rent a helicopter and a few crowbars and land on every one of those houses and tear the shingles off?

I get a tightness in my chest. I wish I had taken up martial arts years ago like a psychic advised me to, because I have too much life force apparently and it comes seeping out as aggression. Whatever, gypsy woman. Later. What I really want to do is put on a bright yellow sweat suite a la Uma Thurman in "Kill Bill" and kick and karate chop my way around New Orleans. Hi YA. I know Lane Bryant doesn't make these suits but I'm telling you, it's my fantasy right now. That and shooting snakes in the water. I have this vision of sitting on the top of a house and just shooting snakes in the water. This isn't nice to snakes, I understand. But I just can't handle the thought of one more thing hurting people who are trying to survive and wading through filthy water to do so. If the Red Cross has a snake shooting division I am going to sign up, because believe it or not, I'm an excellent shot.

I'm not surprised to read hateful bloggers who blame "the poor" for not leaving (as in "Why didn't they just get on a bus out of town? I mean, it's so easy for poor people to leave their homes! They've got nothing to lose!"). I just can't believe how STUPID these people are. STOOPIT stupid. Corrente provides examples here:
http://corrente.blogspot.com/2005/09/do-these-people-live-on-my-planet.html

Hey duuuude, does the concept of being in shock mean anything to you? How about denial, which I'm sure you've never experienced??!!

You know what, haters? Human beings are oriented toward life. They're hard-wired for survival. They generally assume (especially living in New Orleans, which has a proud, tough ancestral history of weathering very bad storms) that even though things may get pretty damn dire, they'll make it somehow. They'll survive, they'll rebuild, they'll get down off the roof. Add to that general optimism some sleep deprivation, incredibly high levels of stress, dehydration, low blood sugar, and plain old fashioned stubbornness and you can easily understand how many people made lousy choices.

Maybe it's not the snakes I really want to shoot after all.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sarahliz said...

Funny, that "why didn't they get on a bus reaction." As far as I know there were no buses to get on. From everything I heard Greyhound had shut down. They had no cars to drive. There were no buses to take.

Really, how hard is it for people to understand this? I think the middle-class should all be struck poor for a week, should be heaped with the stress of figuring out where food will come from, should be left to find a 40 hour a week job, should be forced on their feet all day doing something mind-numbing and soul-sucking (not that many of the middle classes don't work mind-numbing soul-sucking jobs, but they are at least usually better compensated for their misery). People who wave around their ignorance of the realities of poverty make me ill.

01:25  

Post a Comment

<< Home