Tuesday, August 30, 2005

"Antonia's Line"


antonias line
Originally uploaded by Peacebang.
This is such a wonderful film that I just caught on the new gay cable channel, LOGO. I've already written too many posts today so I won't bore you with a real review, but trust me: this you want to see.

There are so many preachable moments in it; so many great philosophical lines.
It features a brooding existentialist character named Crooked Finger who, when informed of his young female friend's unintentional pregnancy, takes on the most tragic expression you can imagine.

"How can you even imagine committing the cold-blooded crime of bringing another life into this world?" he asks her.
Take THAT, right-to-lifers!

This is one of those lovely films about small village life that intermingles the real beauty, the real horror and the real love that are part of it, but without taking on an overly dark or overly sweetsie-pie tone.

This ain't no Mayberry, but it's not Peyton Place, either.

"Is there a heaven?" asks little Sarah.
Her great-grandmother firmly responds, without breaking her stride, "This is the only dance we do."

At another simply poignant moment, young Therese breaks down crying while studying philosophy with Crooked Finger. Holding her in his arms, he croons these comforting words:

"This life is hell. It's populated with demons and tormented souls."

She is somehow comforted, and so was I. The perfect antitode to too much cheery Channing theology.

I probably don't have to mention that this is a Scandanavian film.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This one of my favorite films!

19:16  
Blogger Rev NDM said...

I don't want to be a pedantic twit (but that's how God made me, along with being ethnically Flemish): the film is actually Dutch (well produced by the Netherlands, the UK and Belgium I thnk), and the Netherlands is not a part of Scandanavia.

Wie goed doet, goed ontmoet.

21:01  
Blogger Rev NDM said...

Oh, and yes, it's a great movie. Haven't seen it in a long time...

21:02  
Blogger Unknown said...

Just want to say that I like your blog. I stumbled upon it doing the "next blog" thing. I'm adding it to my favorites.

I'll have to rent this movie.

21:32  
Blogger PeaceBang said...

Oversoul, not at all pedantic or twitty! I thought for sure it was Swedish or Norwegian -- I should have known better, because the dialogue sounded suspiciously like German.
Thanks for the correction.

23:19  
Blogger Joseph Santos-Lyons said...

love this movie, remember it on the big screen in college, amen.

00:04  
Blogger LaReinaCobre said...

Oh, I love this film too. I haven't seen it in years, but it made such an impact on me. I really enjoy Dutch movies.

13:31  

Post a Comment

<< Home