Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Olympian Disappointment

Randomly musing... not that I know anything about how it works, but...

I wonder if one of the reasons NYC didn't get the Olympics bid is because so much of the world hates the U.S. right now and perceives us as a nation of pathologically arrogant militaristic nutjobs who subject ferners to such security shenanigans that no one would want to fly here for the games (especially if they have brown-colored skin and wear interesting head wraps).

The irony is that New York City was the worst city devastated by what happened on 9/11 and could really use the economic upper of hosting the Olympics -- but what happened TO NYC that day was the whole motivation for our current pathologically arrogant militaristic nutjobish behaviors.

I'm not being clear but I know you brainy readers can figure it out. I also know that you will not hesitate to correct my Swiss-cheese-brained reasoning, should you feel so inclined.

By the way, I'm not personally saying that we ARE pathologically arrogant militaristic nutjob nation. I'm just saying that that is our current international reputation across most of the Blue Planet. And a well-deserved one, too. I might add. Or I might not.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jaume de Marcos Andreu said...

There was a widely held opinion that the NY candidacy was not good enough to be considered as a leading runner. I don't think it has anything to do with 9/11, actually sympathy toward New Yorkers is high and quite differentiated from what the Bush admin did later. I think that most peopled don't confuse those two questions and NY would still get solidarity and support from most people abroad (apart from the Arab countries, of course).

06:16  

Post a Comment

<< Home