Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Hi Calvin, I'm Paul


Paul Tillich
Originally uploaded by Peacebang.

Which theologian are you?

http://quizfarm.com/test.php?q_id=44116

Boy In the Bands scored as Calvin,

http://www.universalistchurch.net/boyinthebands/

and I scored as Paul Tillich. Whattyaknow.


My results, quoted from the web page:

"Paul Tillich sought to express Christian truth in an existentialist way. Our primary problem is alienation from the ground of our being, so that our life is meaningless. Great for psychotherapy, but no longer very influential.

Paul Tillich
73%

Friedrich Schleiermacher
67%

John Calvin
60%

Charles Finney
53%

Jürgen Moltmann
53%

Augustine
47%

Martin Luther
40%

Karl Barth
33%

Anselm
13%

Jonathan Edwards
7%


THAT was fun. And illuminating. And slightly disturbing. Definitely evidence that it's time to hit the books in a serious way this summer. I don't know who Finney is, but I'm very happy that I got a little skotch of Jonathan Edwards in there. I'm either a study in contradictions or just a sloppy theological mess. Either one is fine with me. Because, you know... it's that existentialist thing. It doesn't matter in the end, anyway.

Seriously though... how come I can't be Elisabeth Schussler-Fiorenza or Sarah Coakley or even Hildegard of Bingen? Or Theresa of Avila?

I know he's not a classical theologian or systematician, but it's all about EMERSON for me. And Channing. Rolled up with Bette Midler, Endora, Martin Luther King and Stephen Sondheim. That's what I call the meaning of life.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Peacebang!

I scored a 100% Paul Tillich with a 47% Charles Finney quotient and surprising 33% Augustine share!

But I took umbrage to the little slam on Tillich as "no longer influential."

They make theology sound like the Entertainment Tonight's hot list.

11:29  
Blogger fausto said...

Tut, tut. What do they teach at Harvard?

Charles Grandison Finney was an extraordinarily influential Midwestern evangelist and revivalist, one of the leaders of the Second Great Awakening. He was a generation or two after Edwards, and contemporary with Channing. He preached an Arminian "decision theology" -- i.e., that the individual is not thoroughly depraved but has the power to choose sin or redemption. He was also the president of Oberlin College for a time.

Think "Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show", as opposed to "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God".

11:37  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm...Jürgen Moltmann.

13:23  
Blogger David said...

I got "Jesus needs to speak to you about the marks on your forehead"?

16:34  

Post a Comment

<< Home