Monday, February 14, 2005

Doing The Right-Wing Cha Cha

I think you should see this article on the Southern Poverty Law Center web site:

http://www.splcenter.org/intel/news/item.jsp?aid=10

When I lived vaguely near the Washington, DC area I used to read the Washington Times, which I thought was merely conservative and therefore might provide a counter-balance to my consistent lefty tendencies. The Southern Poverty Law Center (my heroes!) exposes the reality that the WT is not merely conservative, it is psychotic, and that one of its frequent contributors is a neo-Nazi sympathizer who refers to Muslims as "hyenas" and feels that homosexuality is a disease passed by neurotic mothers to their congenitally perverted offspring.

Mostly I just wanted to get you over to the Southern Poverty Law Center site. Thems are good people. If you spent fifty bucks on roses for your sweetie today, I bet you could maybe send the SPLC half that, right? Because they do things like take venomous, murdering Aryan Nation leaders or other hate group hyenas to trial and bankrupt them, put them in jail, or in some other way hamstring them. And we really appreciate that around here. I'm going to write them a check right now.

4 Comments:

Blogger fausto said...

I liked this bit:

The Washington Times is relatively small (circulation 102,000) and money-losing (it's been estimated that its backer, the Unification Church, has spent more than $1 billion to keep it going over the past 22 years). But its influence cannot be measured in those statistics. President Reagan once described it as his favorite paper. The first President Bush said it "in my view brings sanity to Washington, D.C."

LOL! Maybe the grand unifying theory that explains everything is that Reagan and the Bushes are secretly Moonies.

There's a darker side than this, though. When I signed the book in my current congregation, the welcome-new-members sermon led off with a news clipping about some UUs who had been arrested and fined for selling cookies to raise funds for some do-good cause in Rockford, Illinois. Except that the UUA was identified as "the church of the Reverend Sun Myung Moon, sometimes known as the 'Moonies'".

So maybe Reagan and the Bushes and even the Washington Times are secretly (gasp!) our kind.

14:00  
Blogger Chalicechick said...

Hey, PB, to whom are you referring and how literal are you being?

CC

23:18  
Blogger Chalicechick said...

Never mind. I found it

23:49  
Blogger PeaceBang said...

I'm glad you found it, CC, because I was working strictly from memory... PB.

08:00  

Post a Comment

<< Home