Friday, March 03, 2006

God is Gonna Getchya

I was in Trader Joe's the other night when I heard one of the workers complain that he had been called up for jury duty. I thought to myself, "Boy am I glad that's not ME!" and then wondered if I would finally get summonsed (not "summoned," but "summonsed") since I never have had that honor before.

The next day I got the bloody summonses in the mail.

*groan*

That's just how I want to spend my day off in a few weeks: getting up way earlier than usual, driving to a really skanky city, and biding my time in a courthouse. Psyched.

I'm off to the doctor to see if we can find some solution to this horrific, chronic cough. I just want to lay down and die.

6 Comments:

Blogger LaReinaCobre said...

You could always defer. But I am not sure how many times you're allowed to defer.

11:30  
Blogger Jess said...

See, this is what I don't get. Here I am, just waiting, waiting, for the chance to do my civic duty, and the only people who tend to get called for these things are the people who don't wanna.

I vote, dammit! Call me! I would love an excuse for a break in routine. And I'm fascinated by the way the real, non-televised legal system actually works.

Harrumph.

12:57  
Blogger Steven Rowe said...

Many areas also chose jurors by drivers liscence ---
-- I was called to jury duty 3 times - picked for a jury once - I could have gotten out if I had given a buck to MADD! -

13:21  
Blogger fausto said...

I've been summonsed twice for jury duty and excused both times, because they usually call more people than they can use.

If Mass. is still doing it the same way as the last time I was summonsed, your name goes into a lottery. The day before, the courthouse clerks figure out how large a jury pool they will really need, and all the surplus names in the lottery (which is often most of them) get excused. You call up the courthouse that aft or eve, and if you've been excused, you don't even have to go in the next day to be excused in real time. But you get credit for having been summonsed anyway, and can't get summonsed again for some period of years.

14:56  
Blogger Hunt said...

I was summoned for jury duty last month, and get this: the summons said I should plan to arrive for selection on Feb 16, the trial would start later that month, and I should plan to be at the courthouse, over an hour a way, four days a week until the end of May.

So I wrote an enraged letter about being a primary child care provider (which is true) and got off. But guess which trial it was? Well, there is probably only one here that plans to go on for more than 3 months. Moussaoui.

19:41  
Blogger PeaceBang said...

Hunt! no way!
You always manage to find all the drama in Middleburg...

And Jess, I'll give them your number. ;-)

20:31  

Post a Comment

<< Home