Saturday, August 13, 2005

Preacherly Satisfaction

Much of a preacher's life is spent collecting stories and anecdotes for sermons, and therefore wracking one's brain to remember where we saw that great story about (for instance) the humble rabbi or the wise trickster.

I've been killing myself looking for a particularly lovely Hasidic tale -- two of them, in fact -- that I want to use in upcoming sermons. Since hundreds of my books are lined up in the hall right now (we got three gorgeous new bookshelves for the parsonage today, but I can't re-shelve until they're braced against the wall) I sat myself down on the floor just bound and determined to find the stories.

Eureka!
I found them both in Spiritual Literacy: Reading the Sacred in Everyday Life by Frederic and Mary Ann Brussat.
Like winning Lotto, I tell ya!
I did the little "found-my-story"preacher dance, which is like a cross between a football player just making a touch-down and Molly Shannon doing Mary Katherine's superstar! routine.

That book's a jim dandy for great stories.
Also a favorite is Soul Food, edited by Jack Kornfeld.


I found my storieees, I found my stooories, I finally go-ot 'em, I finally
go-ot 'em, I got a ice cream I got a ice cream and you don't GOT one and you don't GOT one

3 Comments:

Blogger Chalicechick said...

(((I got a ice cream I got a ice cream and you don't GOT one and you don't GOT one)))

Well, yeah, but my Weight Watchers Chocolate Mousse Bar is ALMOST as good.

CC
thinking "Well, not really..."

22:20  
Blogger PeaceBang said...

Oh CC, I don't really "got a ice cream." That was just an Eddie Murphy joke. Kind of a reference.

(not that I didn't have chocolate mousse today and a big lunch and then accidentally a big dinner when friends called unexpectedly from the restaurant down the street just as I was looking for an excuse to procrastinate writing my paper)

00:37  
Blogger Chalicechick said...

Oh, I knew it was an Eddie Murphy reference, I was just trying to be funny.

CC

09:23  

Post a Comment

<< Home