Saturday, September 30, 2006

Banjo Breakthrough

Before I hunker down to work, I must share a BANJO break-through.

I began lessons in May, and quickly determined that I am NOT a natural talent on the BANJO, although the very idea that I might play it even half-decent is very EXCITING to me because the BANJO is a very happy instrument no matter what.

So today I had my lesson and my teacher played me this very cute song by the group Asleep At the Wheel and we just sat and strummed along as he called out chords and he had to stop and teach me a few new ones, and then we just kept going and I realized that I was actually playing a song with no music in front of me, just by ear.

I was pretty ecstatic and I think my teacher knew it, although I was very cool about it.

Also this morning I made up a new recipe that's really good.

PeaceBang's Cheesey Potato Leek Cabbage Mess

Cook some little potatoes until done. Rinse them with cold water in the colander for slicing later.
Sautee some garlic, leeks and some cabbage in olive oil.
(It's better to do them separately.)
Throw a big hunk of gruyere cheese in the food processor (cut it into several smaller hunks first). Process to crumbles.
Slice up the taters and layer in a buttered casserole dish.
Add a layer of the sauteed cabbage and the leeks (I processed the leeks, too, because they can get stringy if left in chunks). Sprinkle with gruyere cheese.
Add another layer of the cabbage and leeks mix. Sprinkle with more of the gruyere cheese.
Make some fresh breadcrumbs real quick in the food processor, add some parmesan. Use this to top everything.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes. Take it out, dot with butter, and bake for another 5-10 minutes until bubbly and fragrant.

(You should add whatever amount of salt and pepper to your casserole that you like while cooking, but remember that the gruyere cheese is salty. Fresh ground pepper on the cabbage is heavenly.)

Now if I can get my church service done I will go to bed a very satisfied girl.

I also managed to get to the gym. Miraculous.

1 Comments:

Blogger JohnP said...

Thanks for the recipe! It sounds great! I still eat some dairy, but might use a vegan "cheese" sauce, or maybe just reduce the cheese amount. Do share more of your experiments! Theology, beauty tips, social commentary, and now recipes.... What's not to like?

21:14  

Post a Comment

<< Home