Tuesday, May 03, 2005

"Closer" is a Smash Bang Whiz


NICE wig
Originally uploaded by
Peacebang.

Oh, wow. I just finished watching Mike Nichol's marvelous film, "Closer," which was just a huge joy of brilliant screenwriting, incredibly courageous acting (mostly by Clive Owen) and ... oh Mike Nichols, please let me have your babies!! WHERE are the directors who can do what Mike Nichols does?

I cannot get OVER the genius pacing of the internet sex scene! Did you see it? WHO edited that thing? Can I send them a box of chocolates, at least?

A lot of people said that Natalie Portman was totally miscast as the lost waif stripper Alice but I thought she was mostly wonderful and touching except for in the scene with Clive Owen in the club (pictured). But, I mean, I can't think of one young actress who could hold her own against Clive Owen there, because he's just scary amazing. Natalie P. had a very tough job to do and she acquitted herself admirably, and she has thoroughly redeemed herself in my eyes for the horrible wooden Amidala.

But, oh, the DIALOGUE!! You just want to memorize whole scenes like songs -- they're rhythmic and honest and raw and amazing...

It's very "Dangerous Liaisons" in a thong, which I just adore. Adore! Adore!

I have the DVD going in the background so I can hear the dialogue right now:

"Lying's the most fun a girl can have without taking her clothes off. But it's better if you do."

Julia Roberts and Jude Law played two of those extraordinarily beautiful people you see around occasionally and you think to yourself, "Well, s/he's just too gorgeous for her/his own good." And in this case, it turns out to be true. They have a very, very sexy first kiss that made me swoon, and then I got bored with Jude Law's obsessive narcissism although I never tired of his delicious face. It's almost unfair that someone so painfully exquisitely beautiful should also be a damned fine actor.

gush, gush, gush!!

My only complaint: the DVD doesn't have ONE BLOODY EXTRA!!! I'm tearing my hair out here!

9 Comments:

Blogger Paul Wilczynski said...

I just bumped it up on my Netflix list :)

06:41  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, so I'm slow and dumb but I just figured out who Peacebang is in real life. I had no idea you were so fiesty! I've been reading your sermons online for a couple of years. But fear not wallcrawler, I shall not rip off your mask. :)-

--Oversoul, who is slow on the uptake

10:18  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, so I'm slow and dumb but I just figured out who Peacebang is in real life. I had no idea you were so fiesty! I've been reading your sermons online for a couple of years. But fear not wallcrawler, I shall not rip off your mask. :)-

--Oversoul, who is slow on the uptake

10:18  
Blogger PeaceBang said...

It's very highly secret, of course, given that I post photos of myself on-line and all. (grin)
Hi Oversoul... do I know you? You can reply to my e-mail address.

P.S. Whattya mean, you didn't know I was so feisty? Yer kidding. But there's the big difference between reading a sermon and hearing it delivered... I think my congregation would definitely say: She's much more well-behaved on paper than she is in real life.

11:10  
Blogger Chalicechick said...

((( She's much more well-behaved on paper than she is in real life.)))

Though in real life, I still couldn't get the dirt on a certain South Carolina minister out of her.

CC
who would TOTALLY only use the knowledge for good, not for evil. Unless calling all her South Carolina buddies to dish is evil. Well, maybe not all of them. Two, three South Carolina buddies max. That's pretty minimal evil, yes?

12:15  
Blogger PeaceBang said...

T-Man, you so did NOT see "Connie and Carla!" NO!! I can't believe it! You are absolutely an honorary gay man. I am the theatre hag of all time and I wouldn't even do that to myself!!

23:10  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, Peacebang you don't know me in real life. I had only heard about you from others, and decided to look you up online; along with a few other folks (like boyinthebands) I've read your stuff from time to time ever since.

The picture wouldn't really have helped me, because I'm not sure I have ever seen one of you before.

CC however knows me cyberly, and don't believe a word she says about me. I really don't have horns or cloven hooves ;)-

12:32  
Blogger Chalicechick said...

Please, I'm quite fond of Oversoul, though we sometimes disagree.

CC

19:02  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh pooh. I still thought it stinky.

12:38  

Post a Comment

<< Home